Welcome to the 2017-2018 school year. We have survived Orientation Day, the first day of school and the solar eclipse. The beginning of the school year is an excellent time to review our foundational statements and our progress toward improvement.
Mission: Equipping the next generation to impact the world for Christ.
Vision: Calvary Christian School students will use their minds and body to actively serve and glorify God with their whole life, wherever His Will leads them.
Core Values: Each student will grow academically, physically, spiritually and socially so they will be prepared to accomplish their God-given mission. – “Jesus grew in wisdom (academic) and stature (physical) and in favor with God and man (spiritual and social).” — Luke 2:52
Goal: To Develop the Mind of Christ – “Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, . . . ” — Philippians 2:5
Expected Student Outcomes
- Spiritual: We expect Calvary Christian School graduates to:
- be fully devoted followers of Christ and active in His church.
- love God and spend significant time reading the Bible and in prayer.
- think Biblically when making decisions.
- act with integrity and take responsibility for their actions.
- “do justly, love mercy and walk humbly with God.”
- understand the Gospel and articulate and defend their faith.
- Academic: We expect Calvary Christian School graduates to :
- be a problem-solver, thinking critically and creatively.
- clearly articulate their thoughts, in both written and oral forms.
- excel at math and science and appreciate literature, the arts and their heritage.
- be academically prepared to attend the college of their choosing.
- understand and utilize technology responsibly and ethically.
- appreciate the importance of life-long learning.
- Physical: We expect Calvary Christian School graduates to:
- treat their bodies as the temple of the Holy Spirit.
- be gracious in winning and losing.
- value hard work as pleasing to God.
- be examples of moderation and self-control in all areas of life.
- discern the difference between what is permissible and what is beneficial.
- be a good steward of the world around them.
- Social: We expect Calvary Christian School graduates to:
- demonstrate the character of Christ in every area of life.
- love and serve both Christians and non-Christians.
- think globally, understanding and appreciating other cultures and their place in God’s Kingdom.
- appreciate the importance of teamwork and practice Godly leadership.
- engage in appropriate social and righteous civic activities.
- think globally and practice Great Commission living.
20/20 VISION UPDATE
In April of 2017, CCS created the 20/20 Vision (a strategic plan to lead CCS into the year 2020). The plan outlined 21 objectives that would govern our focus and funding decisions. These 21 objectives were grouped into five major initiatives:
- Cultivate a biblically sound, Christ-like environment that encourages individual spiritual growth
- Improve Calvary Christian School’s financial foundation
- Expand educational space by adding to and improving existing CCS facilities
- Strengthen academic instruction
- Provide quality extra-curricular activities for all ages
To date we have already started to address 11 of these important initiatives. Thank you for your continued prayers and support as we try to make Calvary Christian School the best that it can be.
CCS has established carpool procedures to provide safe and efficient exiting of the CCS parking area. For the most part, the first few days have gone well. However, there are a few things that I must address for the safety of our students, the drivers on campus and faculty working the carpool lines.
- Please use the crosswalk when leaving the building and moving into the parking lot.
- Please follow the arrows that are clearly painted in the parking lot. This will provide for a smooth and safe traffic flow.
- If you do not go through the carpool line, please park in a parking space and wait for your child, or go in and get them. DO NOT STOP IN THE LANE AND WAIT FOR YOUR CHILD.
- Please do not talk on cellphones when pulling through the carpool lines (we have had near misses on faculty getting hit).
- Please park in parking spaces only.
If you abide by these simple instructions, we can help to insure a safe and speedy conclusion to the school day.
ORIENTATION VIDEO AND FACULTY DEDICATION SERVICE LINKS
Below are the links for orientation day videos. Additionally I have provided the CCS Faculty Dedication Sermon from Sunday, August 20, 2017. Dr. Eric Mounts, Senior Pastor of Calvary Baptist Church shared a challenging message on the importance of Christian education and the significance of Calvary Christian School. I hope you enjoy them all.
Continuous Enrollment video – https://vimeo.com/230155374
Family Technology Video – https://vimeo.com/183125464?ref=em-v-share
“Take Every Thought Captive” – http://www.cbcky.org/2017-sermon-audio
GRADUATION DATE FOR 2018-2019
Not this year, but for the 2018-2019 school year we will be moving our graduation date up one week. Typically, CCS graduates the senior class on the Friday before Memorial Day. Coincidentally, the United States Military Academy at West Point graduates that same weekend and commissions its newest “batch” of Second Lieutenants. Next year CCS will have a family with a senior at CCS and a 4th year student at West Point (also a CCS graduate). If it can be helped, no family should have to decide between one child’s high school graduation and another child’s college graduation and commissioning in the United States military. This exact situation occurred in 2008 and we made the adjustment. So, the 2018-2019 school year will end one week earlier, on Friday, May 17, 2019, with graduation that night. We wanted to let you know well in advance, so that this change would not be a surprise. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
ANNUAL CAMPAIGN & GOLF OUTING
Please remember the CCS Golf Outing on Monday, September 25th and register if you haven’t already. The Golf Outing helps to support the CCS Annual Campaign. Our goal for this campaign is $130,000. Please help us make this goal. Contact our Marketing Director, Rachel Cornell at email@example.com for more information on each of these.