Well, as we wrap up the 2016-2017 school year, we can really see the Lord’s hand on CCS. We graduated a senior class of 39 students, the largest class in several years. These seniors were awarded over $750,000/year in scholarships!! We enjoyed a phenomenal Commencement Ceremony with Chaplain, Major General Dondi Costin, the U. S. Air Force Chief of Chaplains.
Our 2016-2017 Annual Campaign goal was $125,000. We exceeded our goal by $15,000 to date. The Annual Campaign (including the CCS Golf Outing and Cougar Fun Run) and the funds provided by the PTCA, will allow/has allowed us to accomplish the following:
- Provide lunch for the faculty and staff during Teacher Appreciation Week.
- Purchase four new Smartboards and two new projectors.
- A couple of new AR computers for the elementary classrooms.
- Place bids on three newer buses to replace our aging fleet.
- Hardware and software for a music production lab.
- Replace the carpet in three of our classrooms.
- Re-key the building, increasing the safety of our students and staff.
- Purchase new math curriculum for Kindergarten-6th
- Purchase new science curriculum for the 9th
- Purchase new anatomy & physiology curriculum.
- Purchase new physical education equipment.
- Update signage on the property.
- Pay-off the preschool expansion
- New backstops for both the baseball and softball fields.
- New graphics for the softball home dugout.
- New “jumbotron” in the CCS gymnasium.
Thank you for supporting the Annual Campaign, the CCS Golf Outing, the Cougar Fun Run and the PTCA fundraising efforts. In addition, we were able to acquire the property at the corner of Taylor Mill Road and Hands Pike, giving CCS an additional two acres that can be used in the future.
A team of 20 parents, students, alumni, faculty, staff and board members put together the “20/20 Vision” which will guide CCS planning and decision-making for the next 3 years.
We finished the year with 399 students, which is 13 percent enrollment growth over the last six years. We set the budget at 390 students for the 2017-2018 school year. Currently, we have a total of 384 enrolled students – only six away from our goal!! Also, we are 10 students ahead of where we were on this date last year.
While we lost several faculty members this year, the Lord has brought us high quality teachers for next year. I am excited about working with the new talent and seeing them invest in the lives of our students. These new faculty members are:
- Cynthia Wiggins – 4th Grade
- Laura Reed – 5th Grade
- Bridgette Smith – Intervention Specialist
- Jenny Borden – Elementary Instructional Aid
- Le Hahn – Elementary and High School Computer and Technology
- Liza Toro – Elementary, Middle and High School Spanish
- Kristy Craven – Middle School History and 10th Grade History
- Autumn Ferguson – High School Science
- Luke Wagner – 10th and 11th Grade Bible, AP Government, AP Language Arts and Latin
- Pastor Dan Stewart – 9th Grade Bible
- Laura Kalfas – Testing Coordinator
- Cris Sexton – High School Math
- Mark Ross – Dean of Men, Drafting I & II and Photography
We are still looking for a part-time High School Math Teacher. So if you know a qualified individual, please let us know.
We are adding the following course offerings for the 2017-2018 school year:
- Latin and AP Government as electives in the high school.
- In a partnership with KONA Ice, we will be adding a videography and marketing class with state of the art technology and training from videography and marketing professionals.
- More dual credit offerings for our high school students.
As previously mentioned in our “20/20 Vision,” we will continue to grow our technology options. This year we will begin training our faculty in the use of “one-to-one technology” in the classroom with our students. We will also be busy this year preparing for the renewal of our accreditation. A visit by the accreditation team is scheduled for the first week in May.
So to summarize, 2016-2017 was a FANTASTIC year and 2017-2018 is already shaping up to be a MARVELOUS year. It is never too early to start praying for God’s blessing on next year. As I say in every blog, thank you for your continued support for CCS.