This summer, I had the opportunity to attend a NATO conference in the Bavarian region of Germany. The event was held at the German Air Force Officer Training School at the Air Base in Furstenfeldbruck, Germany. I arrived about 10 hours before the conference, so after checking in I took a taxi to Dachau, the site of the first Nazi concentration camp. As I walked through the sleeping quarters, bathrooms, delousing areas, the gas chamber and the ovens, I was confronted with three thoughts/emotions. My first thought was the overwhelming sadness over the suffering and evil that took place at this concentration camp. Second, was the fact that this was either endorsed by or naively ignored by the local population. Third, this did not happen 500 years ago or during the dark ages (although, they had a holocaust of their own during this period). The full story became known just 18 years before I was born. All of this combined to remind me of the significance of our worldview and the importance of a biblical worldview. Beliefs have consequences, both temporal and eternal. That is why we do what we do at Calvary Christian School. Thank you for seeing the need and supporting our program, as we work with you to educate your child.
If you want more information about Dachau, I recommend That Was Dachau, 1933-1945by Stanislav Zamecnik (a Dachau survivor). It can be purchased on Amazon.
We are undertaking some aggressive improvements this summer:
1) We are increasing our security cameras from 4 to 17, including 3 in the Preschool building. This, along with new procedures at the end of the day, will provide greater security for our students and families.
2) We are replacing half (15) of the air conditioning/heating units in the elementary wing. We will replace the other half (15) units next summer. This year’s cost will be almost $39,000 and will provide consistent, more efficient heating and cooling in all of our rooms.
3) We will be increasing the Internet capabilities in the building as we prepare for our 1:1 Chromebook initiative in the fall.
4) We are erecting a barrier next to the upper soccer field to protect the area from vandalism and safety for spectators watching the games.
5) We have fixed the plumbing in the locker rooms, insuring that all showers work. Additionally, we will be upgrading the locker rooms making them more useful for teams and coaches.
6) We will be replacing the carpet in one of our classrooms (the last classroom with the “Duct Tape Racing Stripe” down the middle).
All of these improvements will be made on top of the normal building maintenance and prep that we do every summer. Thanks to our maintenance and housekeeping staff for their tireless efforts.
There is a price tag associated with each of these initiatives. This is why the Annual Campaign is so important to CCS. It allows us to provide an up-to-date, safe environment for your children. We exceeded our Annual Campaign goal last year, thanks to your support! We are very grateful. I’m going to ask you to help us again this year. Please think about the future of Calvary Christian School and consider supporting this financial effort.
I hope you had a great June and will have a wonderful July. Only 7 weeks until school starts . . . sorry, I couldn’t resist.